The Desktop Consultant ...
Provides technical support:
Carries out administrative duties:
Examples of Projects and Daily Tasks:
What You'll Bring to the Job
- Knowledge of common hardware, software, and operating systems
- Ability to adapt quickly to new environments and technologies
- Strong communication and customer service skills
- Self-directed and motivated work ethic
- Ability to work individually and in collaboration with teammates and other staff
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Minimum GPA of 2.0
- Experience in customer service, administration, training, and/or troubleshooting
- Experience with networking and Internet applications
- Familiarity with resources for computing and troubleshooting problems
- Strong technical writing and documentation skills
- Valid California driver's license
- Minimum GPA of 2.3
What You'll Learn on the Job
- Organization, application, and support structure of SAIT
- Deployment and troubleshooting processes for hardware and software
- Customer service and interaction skills, such as conflict resolution and technical training
- Administrative skills, including technical documentation and asset record management
- Technology infrastructure, network configuration, and directory user and group policy management
Availability & Training Requirements
- The period of employment for this position begins upon hire and continues at least through the end of 2017-2018 academic year.
- Must be a currently enrolled UC Berkeley student.
- Must be available for 2-5 hours per week of training during the spring 2017 semester, including New Staff Orientation on Friday, April 7, 2017.
- Must be available to work 20-40 hours per week during the summer.
- Must be available to work 10-15 hours per week during the academic year.
- Required to attend all-staff training on August 18, 2017.
- A valid driver's license and a driving record check is required for all SAIT employees who drive the departmental vehicle in the course of their work (driving is preferred, but not required, for this position).
- Must clear a criminal background check due to the level of data access and access to systems and physical spaces required by the position.
- Continued employment is contingent upon satisfactory job performance evaluation by the Desktop Consultant Team supervisor.
What to Expect
Candidates will meet with a panel of current staff, including the Lead Desktop Consultant, Desktop Consultant Team supervisor, Desktop Consultants, and/or other SAIT staff. Candidates will have an opportunity to expand on their resume, cover letter, and other qualifications in response to a series of questions and scenarios given by the panel, encompassing the technical, customer service, and administrative requirements of the position. Candidates are asked to bring a copy of their unofficial BearFacts transcript to verify their GPA.
Sample Interview Questions
- Describe your experience with computers and information technology.
- A customer is unable to connect to the Internet with their desktop. What steps would you take to troubleshoot the issue?
- You receive a call from a customer who is unhappy with service they have received from your team and is demanding immediate attention. However, your shift ends in five minutes and you have to go to class. How would you handle the situation?
This job is currently not open for hiring
Have a question? Email us at email@example.com.