The Unit Supervisor ...
Supervises a team of RCCs:
Provides customer service:
Hires and trains new staff:
Provides administrative management:
Examples of Projects and Daily Tasks:
What You'll Bring to the Job
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Experience troubleshooting computer and networking issues
- Strong knowledge of either Mac or Windows operating systems
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to interact with a diverse group of clients, staff, and coworkers
- Ability to work well in teams
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
- GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Previous leadership experience
- Friendly and approachable demeanor
- Attention to detail
- Customer service experience
- Familiarity with Residential Computing support model
- GPA of 2.3 or higher
What You'll Learn on the Job
- Hands-on supervisory and leadership skills
- How to deal with unhappy clients
- Presentation of training materials
- How to interview and hire a team of individuals
- Management of a team of unique individuals
- Technical documentation
Availability & Training Requirements
- The period of employment for this position begins upon hire and continues at least through the end of 2017-2018 academic year.
- Must be a currently enrolled UC Berkeley student.
- Must be available to participate in a required training program during the spring 2017 semester for approximately 5 hours per week including New Staff Orientation on Friday, April 7.
- Must be available to work 20 hours per week during April (including most weekends).
- Required to participate in Unit Supervisor training for up to 40 hours per week, scheduled for July 31-August 4, 2017.
- Must plan and participate in RCC training from August 7 to August 11, 2017. Availability all day on move-in weekend (August 13-14, 2017) is mandatory. Note that the dates are subject to change.
- Required to attend all-staff training on August 18, 2017.
- Availability to work 20-40 hours per week during the summer is preferred.
- Must be available to work 6-12 hours per week during the academic year.
- A valid driver's license and a driving record check is required for all SAIT employees who drive the departmental vehicle in the course of their work (driving is preferred, but not required, for this position).
- Must clear a criminal background check due to the level of data access and access to physical spaces required by the position.
- Continued employment is contingent upon satisfactory job performance evaluation by the Technical Services Manager.
What to Expect
For the Unit Supervisor interview, candidates will meet with a panel of current staff, including the Lead Unit Supervisor possibly alongside other team leads, continuing Unit Supervisors, or the Technical Services Manager. They will go over your resume and cover letter--asking questions about relevant skills and experience--and then ask questions specific to the position. Scenarios will also be poised in order to see how the candidate would respond to specific situations. They will also be asked to bring a BearFacts transcript to verify they meet the minimum GPA requirement.
Sample Interview Questions
- Describe an experience where you worked with a team, and how you operated within it.
- A RCC on your team feels like they have been insulted by a RCC on a different Unit Supervisor's team. How would you handle the situation?
- A RCC has been slacking on their duties and has been missing work. What do you say to the RCC?
This job is currently not open for hiring
Have a question? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.