The Lead Unix Operations Engineer ...
Ensures team members are working to their full potential
Keeps servers running smoothly
Works closely with other teams
Explores new technologies
Examples of Projects and Daily Tasks:
What You'll Bring to the Job
- Effective communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of clients and staff
- Ability to manage and supervise teams and projects
- Familiarity with the command line, common services, and general Unix server management
- Ability to visualize large-scale systems
- Ability and motivation to learn new technologies quickly and with minimal supervision
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- An appreciation for good documentation
- Minimum GPA of 2.0
- Prior leadership experience
- Experience with project management
- Detailed knowledge of the Unix team's infrastructure
What You'll Learn on the Job
- About the hardware architecture that powers hundreds of virtual machines
- How to use Puppet, a configuration management tool used throughout industry
- How to architect scalable, resilient infrastructures
- How to balance and prioritize requests from many different teams
- How to debug software and hardware problems that potentially span multiple servers
Availability & Training Requirements
- The period of employment for this position begins upon hire and continues at least through the end of 2017-2018 academic year.
- Must be a currently enrolled UC Berkeley student.
- Must be available for 2-5 hours per week of training during the spring 2017 semester, including sessions on:
- February 17
- April 7
- April 14
- 2 days during the week of May 15 (dates/times TBD)
- Must be available to work 20-40 hours per week during the summer.
- Must be available to work 10-15 hours per week during the academic year.
- Must participate in Residential Computing Consultant (RCC) training during week of August 7, 2017.
- Required to attend all-staff training on August 18, 2017.
- Must clear a criminal background check due to the level of data access and access to systems and physical spaces required by the position.
- Continued employment is contingent upon satisfactory job performance evaluation by the Unix Ops Engineering Team supervisor.
What to Expect
Lead Unix Operations Engineer interview candidates will meet with a small panel made up of current Unix Operations staff to discuss how their skills and experience are a fit for the job. The interview will last about one hour, and will include questions on general Unix knowledge, shell commands, and design. Candidates will also be asked to bring a BearFacts transcript to verify they meet the minimum GPA requirement.
Sample Interview Questions
- What does
find . -name '*.conf' | xargs grep unixdo?
- Given a text file of server names, how could you easily run the command
echo hello worldon each of the servers?
- Your NFS-mounted home directories have suddenly disappeared: how might you debug this?
This job is currently not open for hiring
Have a question? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.