The Unix Operations Engineer ...
Keeps servers running smoothly
Works closely with other teams
Explores new technologies
Examples of Projects and Daily Tasks:
What You'll Bring to the Job
- Interest in learning more about Unix
- Effective communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of clients and staff
- Familiarity with command line basics
- Ability and motivation to learn new technologies quickly and with minimal supervision
- An appreciation for good documentation
- Minimum GPA of 2.0
- Experience with version control (we use git and svn)
- Programming experience
- An understanding of networks
- Experience with databases
- Minimum GPA of 2.3
What You'll Learn on the Job
- About the hardware architecture that powers hundreds of virtual machines
- How to use Puppet, a configuration management tool used throughout industry
- How to architect scalable, resilient infrastructures
- How to balance and prioritize requests from many different teams
- How to debug software and hardware problems that potentially span multiple servers
Availability & Training Requirements
- The period of employment for this position begins upon hire and continues at least through the end of 2017-2018 academic year.
- Must be a currently enrolled UC Berkeley student.
- Must be available for 2-5 hours per week of training during the spring 2017 semester, including New Staff Orientation on Friday, April 7.
- Must be available to work 20-40 hours per week during the summer.
- Must be available to work 8-12 hours per week during the academic year.
- Must participate in Residential Computing Consultant (RCC) training during week of August 7, 2017.
- Required to attend all-staff training on August 18, 2017.
- Must clear a criminal background check due to the level of data access and access to systems and physical spaces required by the position.
- Continued employment is contingent upon satisfactory job performance evaluation by the Unix Ops Engineering Team supervisor.
What to Expect
Unix Operations Engineer interview candidates will meet with a small panel made up of current Unix Operations staff to discuss how their skills and experience are a fit for the job. The interview will last about one hour, and will include questions on general Unix knowledge, shell commands, and design. Candidates will also be asked to bring a BearFacts transcript to verify they meet the minimum GPA requirement.
Sample Interview Questions
- What does
find . -name '*.conf' | xargs grep unixdo?
- Given a text file of server names, how could you easily run the command
echo hello worldon each of the servers?
This job is currently not open for hiring
Have a question? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.